Sunday, October 21, 2007

Camels to Cheese

An action packed weekend has left me with the odd sensation of the the end of week break being entirely too long. To take it in reverse, there were a lot of bleary eyed expats walking around the city this morning in the wake of late night watching the Rugby World Cup Final.

A big group of us headed down to the Barasti Bar to watch the game and despite fears that there would be queues to get in and we would not be able to see anything the opposite was true. Barasti had gone to great lengths to ensure plenty of screens and staff on hand and the only chaos was trying to get out of the car park after the game. From a match perspective - Congratulations to the Springboks they have been the form team during the tournament and equally congratulations to England.

They had been written off and the first pool games were dire. However the bulldog spirit showed up for the last three games and I was proud to be an English rugby supporter again. Win, lose or draw last night - I felt England had nothing left to prove and it all looked a game too far considering the amount they had given in beating Australia and France.

The Bokke will enjoy their win and I spent all evening marveling at the basketball style skills that the Boks displayed at the lineout. That was world class.I look forward to the Lions touring South Africa in 2009 to test their worth against the world champions

Early in the weekend I took my guests Anna and Matt out for the classic day trip to Hatta Pools with a stop at the Hatta Fort Hotel for a spot of lunch. It is always nice to get a small break into the rugged countryside surrounding Dubai. On the walk into the hotel there was a nicely decorated camel waiting patiently to take tourists on a short ride.





Following a dip in the Hatta Pools and a quick drive back to Dubai we all headed out for "Cheese" at the nightclub called the Lodge. This was the opening night of the club following the Ramadan break. I had never been there with the full place was open. I was amazed at the size of the venue particularly the huge open air dance floor surrounded by bars and VIP Gazebos. The large group I was with and the accompanying 2500 other guests certainly had a tremendous time that evening. Here are the lads from Villa 16 enjoying themselves:



The winter is now well and truly here and we have all ready made sure we have our tickets for the Dubai sevens. The camping trips, dhow cruises and villa parties are all being planned over the next couple of months. With the weather cloudy and 11c in London - I know where I would rather be.

Note: Part of this blog was quoted in the Gulfnews 23rd October 2007

4 comments:

i*maginate said...

I love this post! It put a smile on my face :)

My, my, you are well and truly back in Dubai, aren't you.

I'm not really a Barasti person but that doesn't say much since I ended up in a dingy bar at the invite of some friends to watch the Rugby. At the end of the match I got chatting with some bald guys with beanie hats - can you imagine? I loved it. I think I will be going to many more rugby matches in future. 7s...here I come!

As for London weather at the moment, I always find it refreshing at this time of the year. It's like walking through a mall but with fresh air as opposed to the thrills & chills of A/C.

Anonymous said...

Aaron, hope you are well, the game and week was hard for English sport, still you have to be in it to win it I guess, the weather in the UK over the past week has been great, warm sunshine with the countryside looking very beautiful indeed. Keep up the bogging always fun to read. Jason

mishillionaire said...

I have been reading bits of this blog since i got here.. and just so happens I wondered who you could be.. and then i found this post and recognised the boys in the picture! I met you at this cheese party.. I work with Duncan and live with Kate & Matt Sullivan at the Villa around the corner from you guys.. oh, and i met Rupert last week too!

Small world.

See you around!
michelle

Aaron said...

Hi Michelle,

A small world indeed! I remember meeting you! I hope to see you soon and perhaps at the Rome party?

Cheers

Aaron