Thursday, April 12, 2007

Laugh? I nearly...

...died of embarrassment last night. I had a very enjoyable evening at the Laughter Factory which is hosted at the Zinc night club at the Crowne Plaza.

The format for these events was a trio of comedians who typically appear in a "save the best for last" order. The poor chap who appeared first, Mickey Hutton, was simply not very funny. I really wanted to laugh but he was just not giving me any reason to. However my moment of embarrassment was for Mickey Hutton, at his finale he wanted to play some guitar, sing a song with accents from his harmonica. Sadly, the guitar did not work and the technician could not get it going. Mickey tried hard to recover from the situation by basically humiliating the technician. I really felt for both of them.

I wondered if I had wasted my 95AED but the other two acts Tom Stade and Terry Alderton were both great and made it worthwhile.

I have not reviewed anything for a while - so here goes:

Mickey Hutton - enthusiastic, but not really funny. Shame his guitar did not work. His only redeeming feature was he looked incredibly similar to a chap I work with. 4/10

Tom Stade - a cool, smooth talking Canadian. His observational humor particularly around airplane flying had the large proportion of the EK crew in the audience laughing. 7/10

Terry Alderton - a cross between Michael Winslow (The man of a 1000 sound effects from Police Academy) and a regular British comedian. Terry's impression of "Speed garage" had me grinning from ear to ear and the overall technical excellence in his performance was clear to see. 8.5/10


Overall Laughter Factory Experience - some good laughs and 25AED drinks. I will be going again. 8/10

No comments: