Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Banking and Driving

I have been advised that it was a good idea to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP) before heading out to Dubai to live and work. As a tourist on a visit visa you are able to drive on your UK license however if you are applying for a work visa you need either a local UAE driving license or and IDP to be able to drive.

To be able to get your hands on an IDP follow the instructions on the AA website - you need to supply photocopies of your UK photo license, the paper counterpart (which caused me to turn my flat upside down to find) and passport. I am really glad to have and all in one scanner/copier/fax device at home which makes these things a whole lot easier.

My other small achievement today was to open a HSBC premier account - while I have only ever had good service from my current bank they are unable to offer services that the HSBC can. Namely the ability to open a HSBC account in Dubai and for a much reduced fee easily transfer money back to the UK online.

I have to say that the service I got at my local HSBC branch today was remarkably good and within 45mins I had an account number and sort code. Of course you need to provide 3 months bank statements, passport and utility bill. However with all the other requirements for degree attestation and IDPs this seemed like a minor request.

No comments: