Thursday, June 29, 2006

Touch Down

Early this morning I touched down at Dubai International. I flew Emirates air for the first time and I was impressed. The seats were comfortable their ICE entertainment system was excellent and the service was really good. I can only dock mark as the lamb dish I ate on the plane did not really agree with me and caused me to feel unwell most of today.

On landing at Dubai - I liked the airport - very modern and a whole host of shopping is available while you wait for your flights.

I had been a little worried about getting my visa at the airport but my company employed the services of Mahabra. This a visa service company where nice ladies in yellow jackets had my visa ready took me to an executive queue and even waited with me to get my bags and meet my ride to the hotel. All in all a very stress free service.

So Dubai - here I am. I find the place like cultural collision of the Far East and North America underlined with Emirate culture. I think it will take a me a little while to get used to everything.

The hotel I am staying at is good for a big rooms but sadly lacking in some of the more modern luxuries like broadband internet. So I find myself in an internet cafe just next door. I am sure I will get to know this place very well.

I did manage to go out and see a little of Dubai today and what a better place to start than with some shopping? I took a cab to the Mall of the Emirates. This is the places that hosts Ski Dubai an indoor 400m ski slope. Kind of weird to see that when the temperature outdoor is above 40deg C. After a couple of hours of mooching around designer stores I decided that this place wasn't for me and tomorrow I may do to Deira City Center to check out more electrical type stores.

So overall -
Emirates Air = good
Hotel = OK
Dubai = going take sometime to get used to

No comments: