Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Twisted Melons

So far in my night spot adventure's in Dubai I have yet to visit a "real" nightclub (other than the Marine's Club - which does not really count)

I jumped at the chance to go to a night called "Twisted Melons" which is at the iBo club at the back of the millenium hotel. I was told it was an indie night and even better it would be free to get in. On arrival at 10.30pm the place was fairly quiet, however after enjoying a couple of Vodka Tonics I turned around to be greeted by a throng of arrivals.

As a former student of the University of Liverpool I was well attuned with the majority of Brit Pop music from its hay day in the mid to late 90s. I was a little worried that in the first couple of hours I only recognized the odd song here and there - by 1am it was a different story. Stone Roses, Oasis, Blur, Killerz and many others streamed out across the packed dance floors. My friends and I danced till the early hours in some vain effort to re-live those glory indie days at University.

At about 3am I called it a night and headed off to find a taxi and a kebab - it was amazing for those few hours I forgot I was in Dubai and was well and truly back in "Madchester"

Overall 9/10 - everything you could want from a brit pop night - lots of classics and a crowd who were really loving it. Once a month to shine on is probably all I could handle though.

No comments: